HOME

1967 Chevy Impala

page 9 - Preparing Parts


Hydraulic and Air Ride Cars All of my Current Vehicles All the Cars I've EVER Owned Hydraulic or Air Ride questions?
Car Videos! Other Car Work Friend's Cars VISIT LAYITLOW.COM FORUMS
Donations Page! Please Donate! Send me an Email Purdue University Projects LAYITLOW.COM FORUMS


More Dirty Work

This isn't the first time I've looked like this

 



Sandblasting Parts

Sandblasting in the cabinet is cool, you stay clean while the dust and dirt flies all around in the cabinet. Sandblasting outside however, well its a messy job. I spent hours in the hot July sun sandblasting the core support and both wheel wells. I wanted to do this outside so I didn't get sand everywhere in the shop. It made a mess, but luckily its all gravel out there.

DSC02748.JPG (332190 bytes)  DSC02749.JPG (323947 bytes)  

Pulleys and other parts

I've never had good luck with chrome pulleys. It seems the most of them that you buy end up being some cheap crap made in China and belts slip alot on them. I even had them fly off my 454 Big Block in my 79 Trans Am due to chrome pulleys. Due to this, I decided to try out powder coating. Bill does powder coating, so I had him coat a bunch of stuff for me including the pulleys, battery tray, hood hinges, some brackets I made and a countless number of nuts and bolts. I started with sandblasting my original pulleys and he did them in a chrome powder coat. The last pic shows how they turned out. Durable with a nice look.

DSC02695.JPG (160333 bytes)  DSC02699.JPG (144172 bytes)  DSC02703.JPG (139456 bytes)   DSC02798.JPG (329799 bytes)

 

Power Steering pump brackets I made

The original brackets for the power steering pump bolted to the block but also used the exhaust manifold for support. Since I was going with headers, I knew they wouldn't fit right so I had to make my own. I started by tracing the lower bracket out on cardboard.  

DSC02735.JPG (321126 bytes)  DSC02736.JPG (317413 bytes)  DSC02737.JPG (307421 bytes)  DSC02738.JPG (294174 bytes)  DSC02739.JPG (315396 bytes) 

Then I used some scrap steel from the framewrap and began cutting it out of 1/4" steel. Then I drilled 3 holes in it and grinded it smooth as I could. The second bracket was originally part of my original alternator bracket, but since I was using a different one I hacked it up a bit for the second bracket used to adjust belt tension. 

 DSC02740.JPG (331686 bytes)  DSC02741.JPG (295093 bytes)  DSC02742.JPG (329311 bytes)  DSC02743.JPG (325375 bytes)  DSC02744.JPG (318187 bytes)  DSC02745.JPG (328295 bytes)  DSC02746.JPG (325270 bytes)  DSC02747.JPG (332032 bytes)

 

Wheel well repair

The first pic shows how I had to trim the wheel well opening a bit so that the front hydraulic cylinders wouldn't rub on them. I planned to paint match them so I didn't want them to get scratched up. The original passenger wheel well was rusted up a bit where the battery tray sits. Nobody makes an aftermarket replaceable one and a good used one is hard to find. So, I had to doctor up mine a bit. Since it sits hidden by the battery tray, I just needed it to hold strong and wasn't worried as much about how perfect it looked. I took the two pieces and tacked them together. Then, I used sheet metal steel pieces to cover the rotted out metal and hold the 2 pieces together.

DSC02750.JPG (296115 bytes)  DSC02751.JPG (319987 bytes)  DSC02753.JPG (325186 bytes)  DSC02755.JPG (327461 bytes)  DSC02756.JPG (330313 bytes)  DSC02757.JPG (323179 bytes)  
 

Painting parts

After sandblasting and one repair, the core support and wheel wells were ready to be primed up and painted. I finally got to use my new spraying setup.

DSC02772.JPG (298786 bytes)  DSC02775.JPG (329151 bytes)  DSC02766.JPG (327745 bytes)  DSC02767.JPG (324568 bytes)  DSC02770.JPG (315197 bytes)  DSC02771.JPG (325723 bytes)  DSC02776.JPG (320047 bytes)  DSC02777.JPG (326164 bytes)  DSC02782.JPG (338121 bytes)  DSC02784.JPG (338165 bytes)

 

Last Update 1/23/06 Will be done soon!

 

Other parts painted

After sand

 

Chrome Alternator Kit

A kit for a chrome alternator is much cheaper (around $30) then spending $99 for a chrome one from your typical aftermarket company. All they do is use this chrome kit on a regular one anyway, so its the same difference. I used my original good working alternator's parts to put inside the chrome kit. If those parts ever go bad, I can just swap them out for another one from the parts store. Its a fairly easy process, the only trick was to use a small stud of some kind (I used a very small drill bit)

 

Accel 300+ Race Wires

After sandblas

 

Shift Linkage Creation

After sandblas

 

 




BACK: Back to The Big Move on page7      NEXT: Go to Front End Assembly on page10

 

 

Back to Hydraulic and Air Ride Cars 

Back to Joe's Customs HOME Page

 

Hit Counter